Discoveries to Date
After holding new rounds of public outreach in February through April of 2016, a Draft Renewable Energy and Conservation Element was made availabe for public review at a County Planning Commission Workshop held in August 2016. After an extended comment period, the Planning Commission held a public hearing on the Draft REC Element in November 2016, and made a recommendation to the Board of Supervisors for approval.
In March 2015 the County published its Renewable Energy and Conservation Element Framework: Purpose, Values and Standards to establish the foundation for the draft Element and to summarize what was learned to-date. It was discovered during SPARC Phase 1 that quantitative analyses would further an understanding of the impacts of Renewable Energy choices. Cost-benefit studies have been contracted for and preliminary results of these studies will be available in February 2016.
During April and May 2014, the County hosted the initial round of public outreach for SPARC Phase 1. In August 2014, the County hosted a second round of public outreach for SPARC Phase 1. During both rounds of outreach activities, public stakeholders expressed their preferences and concerns about renewable energy development. Public responses have consistently gravitated around four themes.
- Small-scale distributed generation wind and solar projects are preferred over utility-scale projects.
- Environment and wildlife are valuable resources that should be carefully considered.
- Clear and transparent communication about renewable energy projects is important to achieving desired outcomes.
- Renewable energy development should be focused on available rooftops and on previously disturbed lands with limited impact to residential communities.
Summary of Public Input at Outreach Workshops SPARC Phase 1, Rounds 1 and 2
Results from SPARCForum Topics (SPARC Phase 1, Round 1)
To view individual feedback and overall outcomes please visit:
- Renewable Energy Technologies
- Evaluation Criteria
- Renewable Energy Comments
- Community Priorities
Results from SPARCForum Topics (SPARC Phase 1, Round 2)
SPARCForum results from Round 2 will be posted shortly. For now, you can view real time results using the FEEDBACK tab under each open topic on the homepage.